To save a fully independent copy of the project, new GUIDs must be generated for the project. Do you want to save an independent copy?
This message appears if you use the File > Save Project As... command. It enables you to save the project as a fully independent copy by generating new GUIDs for the following:
- A new Product GUID, so the installer no longer detects older installations as belonging to the same product.
- New component GUIDs, so the components will be installed independently from any previous components that used the old GUIDs.
- (Note that assembly GUIDs are not changed, because these must match the GUID in the corresponding manifest.)
These changes are necessary to create an independent product installer, but should be avoided if you want to maintain backward compatibility with your current installers.
Tip: You can also generate new GUIDs after saving the project by using the Project > Generate New GUIDs command.
Do one of the following:
- If you intend to use the new copy of the project for a different product (or for an independently installable version of the same product), then click Yes to confirm the changes and generate new GUIDs.
- If the project should remain backward compatible with the the original, then click No to retain the current GUIDs.